Bleeding after painful intercourse. Could I have cervical or vaginal cancer?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Question: I bleed a bit after painful intercourse. It is painful and I was exposed to DES and I am post menopausal age 60 Could I have cervical or vaginal cancer. As far as I know I have not had an abnormal pap teat.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Should get evaluated Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Bleeding after intercourse is suspicious for cervical cancer. However, age related atrophy of vagina may also cause this. A normal pap smear does not rule out cervical cancer. You should get evaluated by a gynecologist so that any obvious lesion is not missed. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.