Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Back pain,fever,loss of appetite,sleeplessness,aching elbow

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I am suffering with Back Pain at the start of my spine cord just below my neck and every evening getting fever of 102 and for last one week, started loosing my appetite at great speed, yesterday night there was no sleep as my right elbow was aching heavily which was fractured 20 years back, i travel daily 20+20 kms to my home and office in passion bike. does this makes the problem big? is this spondilytis?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

From the description provided it seems that you may be having a infection, which could be due to viral causes. Body pain, back pain, high fevers, loss of appetite, and fatigue are classic features of viral infections.

Travelling long distances on a bike will cause too much of stress and can predispose to viral infections as well as body strain. This could very well be the reason for your illness. But the pain in the back and neck , does not mean that it could be spondylitis. Mostly such pain arise in relation to viral infections and persist for a few days, before completely subsiding on their own. They do not result in any long term sequelae.

For a few days, I would suggest you to try conservative measures.

Take adequate rest, drink enough fluids to maintain proper hydration.

Medications like Cetrizine to control the allergy symptoms will be helpful. Pain killers like Crocin or Ibuprofen taken 3 times a day, will ‎reduce any body aches and back pain.

In case, you develop, any headache, persistent high fever, purulent (yellow greenish) expectoration, coughing you ‎might consult a doctor who can examine you and perform a few blood tests and rule out any bacterial infections and if present, treat them with ‎a course of antibiotics for a few days. ‎

Presence of issues like urinary difficulty, inability to walk, severe back spasms, seizures, etc should prompt you to seek a doctors help so that imaging studies like a MRI can be done.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

You might consult me further if you have any further doubts.


Dr Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor