Arthritis in the joints just above the thumb. Will voltaren emugel help?

Dr. Moustafa Saeed

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have arthritis in the joints just above the thumbs. I have tried: Myonatural, Biofreeze, Myoflex, Dr. Sheffield's Muscle rub and Rub-A535. Non has really helped. My Dr. just gave me samples of Voltaren Emugel to try. Should I expect better results from this product than the products I've listed? Do you represent any of these companies....or will I get an honest and informed answer?
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Honest answer Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for your question. Topical treatment for arthritis which you have been using can help but they are not as strong as systemic treatment like tablets. I will recommend tablets treatment such as paracetamol, codein, ibuprofen or voltaren tablets. The exact dose and combination of the above tablets depends on your other medical conditions and age, and if you have contraindication to any of the above drugs. Wish you speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T