Are the red dots on penis a sign of STD?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: To Dermatologist,

I am 23 and yesterday I had a protected sex with the girl I don't know about. I am noticing red dots on my penis top. I had a rough sex. she was moving all around. I used protection(condom). when I removed the condom I checked the condom was not broken. When I reached home and took a shower. my penis was sensitive. I thing I hurt it. some portion I feel like I got a very small cut on my penis. I am pretty sure about the condom It was not broken at all. I am still noticing lubricant on the surrounding area. I have not washed my penis with the soap since It may hurt it more. I was just concern about what it is. And is it normal or not? . I have uncut penis. which makes my top more sensitive. especially my skin was constantly coming up and down. I never had a rough sex like this. she was very tight. It was my second time protected sex. first was before 6 months. I am still new in it. that is the reason of my concern. I hope you can answer me.

1) Is it normal to have this kind of red dots on penis after vaginal sex?
2) should I visit a doctor?
3) can it be STD?
4) what precautions should I take to get it healed?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
STD not likely,traumatic lesions suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

On clinical examination of the red colored marks on penis one day after having sexual activity suggests that the marks are due to trauma.
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can also cause lesions of similar appearance, however, it is unlikely to develop lesions associated with STD one day after sexual activity.
Moreover, protected sex rules out the possibility of transmission of STDs.

Practically, there is no risk of transmission of STD.
However, you can take up tests for HIV and other STDs- syphilis (VDRL), gonorrhea and chlamydia (serological tests) to rule out these infections.

Avoiding sexual activity or any other kind of trauma to penis will help in healing the penis.
In case there is some ulcer or raw area on the penis, an emollient can be applied on the raw surface.

You consult your primary healthcare provider for clinical assessment and prescription of an emollient for relief to the raw surface.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 55 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. It is no itching me. Should I see the doctor? or I should wait? do you think it is normal?
I am not into checking HIV right away since, I heard that it will only come up after one and a half month or later.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for some days to allow the redness to clear.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Absence of itching rules out infection for all practical purposes.
Yes, you can wait for some days.
The redness will wear off if it is due to trauma.
HIV test can be done after 3 months because before that the test can be negative.
However, chances of HIV or any other STD is unlikely.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju