Are productive cough and sneezing symptoms of allergy?
Here's what I've been thinking: In that two/three week period, I have had a cough with a small amount of mucus. I've also been sneezing. The pressure seems to be brought on when I am outside walking my dogs (around oak and pine trees). My question is this: Can allergies (which I have not experienced until recent years) have such symptoms as I have described.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I carefully passed through your question and would explain that lung disorders (like inflammation, infection or allergy reactions) could lead to this symptomatology.
Increased mucus secretion and sneezing could be related to inflammation or an allergy reaction of the respiratory ways.
I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:
- a lungs X ray study
- pulmonary function tests
- complete blood count and inflammation tests (PCR, sedimentation rate)
- arterial blood gas analysis
- allergy tests to exclude possible allergies
An ENT specialist consult would also help examine your upper respiratory ways and your sinuses and exclude possible sinus infection (it can cause increased cough and mucus).
You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.
Meanwhile, I would recommend avoiding going out in cold air or being in places when others are smoking (smoking is very irritating for airways).
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Productive cough car accident
- Pneumonia productive cough
- Is a runny nose and sneezing symptoms of cutting teeth
- Productive cough after eating
- Chronic productive cough
- Symptoms of non productive cough
- Cold running nose productive cough sneezing allergy symptoms
- Constant sneezing symptoms
- Symptoms of productive cough
- Sharp pain lower left abdomen sneezing symptom