• question-icon

Are fluctuations in the platelet count of an infant with NAIT normal?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: My daughter has NAIT. She is 14 weeks old and hasn't had a transfusion or any other procedures to increase her platelet count since December 20th. Her platelets were low in the 70's for about two months and just two weeks ago she had a count of 268k. This Saturday they were 232k. Should the slight drop be a cause for concern that her count hasn't stabilized yet or is it normal for platelet counts to fluctuate like this?

Should we continue to monitor her platelets?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This type of variation is common.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
There is nothing to worry about slight drop of platelet count. This type of fluctuations are common in platelet count. This drop is not significant clinically. No follow up is required for that drop. Nothing to worry about that. Just be relaxed.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist