question-icon

Are bubbling sound from chest and bad cough signs of pneumonia?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: I have bad cough last 3 days. Lungs sound like they are bubbling when I breathe while lying down. I am 63. Does this match pneumonia?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, this can be pneumonia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, this can be pneumonia.
Bubbling sound from chest can be due to retained secretions in lungs.
And secretions are commonly seen in pneumonia.
So, better to get done chest x ray first.
Chest x ray is must for the diagnosis of pneumonia.
You may need antibiotics if it is pneumonia.
If chest x ray is normal then rule out heart diseases as heart diseases can cause similar symptoms.
So please let me know
1. Do you have diabetes?
2. Do you have hypertension?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (12 minutes later)
1. no diabetes. 2. blood pressure normal while taking 40mg benazepril. 3. good physical 01/19/16. 4. cough is productive, mostly clear and watery, some white mucus and occasional yellow bits. 5. I just changed jobs. old insurance terminated, new insurance not yet active. 6. I am commercial truck driver currently in XXXXXXX Home is in San XXXXXXX CA.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Do you have fever or chest pain?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No need to worry for heart diseases as you are not having diabetes and hypertension.
Please let me know
1. Do you have fever?
2. Do you have chest pain while coughing?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (10 minutes later)
No significant chest pain. No noticeable fever but I don't have thermometer. Head is very congested. Some sneezing, much coughing but with frequent quescent periods lasting up to thirty minutes. [ I think I someone to write an xray app for android phones. ;-) ]
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can attach your x ray report in this question also.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
You can attach chest x ray here also. There is attachment option in the question. So please attach the x ray, so that I can see it and tell you more.
Bronchitis can also cause similar symptoms.
So please let me know
1. Do you had chest x ray?
2. Do you smoke?
3. Do you have breathing difficulty?
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist