• question-icon

Is medication advised for BP reading of 150/90?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been presrcibed Benazepril 5 mg and Losartan 25mg within the last 6 months. Both of these even when i cut them in half make me listless and drowsy the following day. I take them at night before bed. The Losartan affects my sleep by keeping me partially awake. Without taking either of the above my blood pressure averages 144/ 85. With the medication it can be as low as 117/78.. and at that level I have no energy at all. The Benazepril was prescribed after a wellness visit to my family doctor I do not have any other symptons.. My question is. Do I need blood pressure medication as I know see that 150/90 is ok for my age ( I'm 69 this August) ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need BP medication. Talk to your doctor for alternatives.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. However, I would not encourage trying to modify the dose by halving the tablets. A BP of 117/78 mm of Hg on medication is perfectly normal and not concerning. I understand that you feel down but doubt if it is due to these medications. Nevertheless you should report these to your treating physician. He would be able to prescribe you alternative drugs which could possibly reduce your complaints. In any case you definitely need BP medication. I would not consider 150/90 mm Hg pressure to be normal or ok for your age.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha