Are bloating, belching, diarrhea and nausea indicative of gastric reflux?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having bloating, belching, diarrhea, feeling of fullnes after eating and nausea. Severe attach of vomiting and diarrhea five days ago. No acute pain in abdomen but some light stomach pain after eating. I have mostly eliminated fat since being sick but still have feeling of nausea. I have have a very fast digestive system normally. Also have gastric reflux. Is this the onset of gallbladder issues?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely its acute gastroenteritis however a usg can be done for Gall B!

Detailed Answer:
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Its very likely that its gastroenteritis,Enteritis means inflammation of gut wall usually gastroenteritis is caused by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting It takes almost 5/7 days to cure itself however in case its bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection it may require a proper antibiotic therapy.

I would suggest you to go for few tests-
Ultra sound abdomen to rule out any hepato biliary pathology involving gall bladder.
Stool test under microscope should be done.
Complete blood count and Total and differential leucocyte count.
All these tests should be done to rule out infection.
Nausea bloating vomiting loose stool are all feature of enteritis.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Along with it take Fybrogel husk,It will increase the bulk of your stools.
Take Omeprazole 40 mg once daily to help you with bloating and belching and gastirtis.
Add a probiotic like VSL# 3 twice daily.It repletes the good flora of gut hence improves the overall digestion.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions.
Take Zofran 4 mg thrice daily for controlling emesis.
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes.

Gall bladder pathology is concerned with Right side pain radiating to shoulder blade in most of the cases.Though nausea and vomiting could be there yet diarrhoea is usually not a presenting complaint in gall bladder pathology.

I would suggest you to go for baseline investigations initially to reach a proper diagnosis.

Hope it was helpful.
Thank you!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad