Are H.Pylori infection and constipation symptoms of colon cancer?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello i was diagosed with hpylori and ive had constipation . Should be concerned with colon cancer ? I am 42 and i had a colonscospy when i was 34 which was clear and no polyps .
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking on HCM!

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows :
1.You are reporting to have H.pylori infection. You should start antibiotic therapy plus PPI to these issue.
If you have done upper endoscopy I would like to read it. If you haven't done yet please perform it to better evaluate the damage of H.Pylori infection in stomach mucosa.
2. You are reporting to have constipation. Usually there is no relation between H.Pylori infection and constipation.
With regards to constipation it may be related with:
- diet poor in fibers and liquids
- low physical activity
- IBS and stress related.
You are asking if it is related with colon cancer.
Yes it is true that colon cancer can cause constipation associated with blood in stools abdominal pain. In your case you have only constipation, this is why In my opinion it is not related with colon cancer.
Usually in my clinical practise if the constipation continues more than 3 months with healthy diet than I suggest to do colonoscopy.
The fact that you have done colonoscopy 8 years ago is a positive finding to rule out colon cancer.
Meantime I suggest to change lifestyle like:
- take plenty of water
- increase physical activity
- use foods reached in fibers
- use olive oil 3 teaspoon per day
- use stool softener like Duphalac if it s nessesary
- avoid unnecessary stress
If your symptoms doesn't improve after 3 months than you should repeat colonoscopy.
Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 15 minutes later
I did in fact have a endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastrits . Stool test positive molecule for hpylori . But i also have weird symptonms . Brain fog .. Fatigue .. Joint pain . All blood work and diagnostics was normal with the exception of hpylori
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
With regards to gastritis plus H.Pylori infection you should treat it with PPI'S and antibiotic drugs.
Your symptoms like fatigue are not related with H.Pylori infection. These symptoms may be related with a viral common infection .
Hope it is helpful to you!
Dr. Klerida