Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Accidentally took Amoxicillin and Clavulanate pills. Taking them for otitis media. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 554 Questions
Hello - I am a 63 yr old female 155 lbs. I accidentally took 2 or 3 Amoxicillin and Clavulanate 875/125 pills. I have been taking them for otitis media. Is there a problem with that, will I be ok? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 38 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

Amoxycillin-clavulanic acid is relatively safe drug except in the patients with known allergy to this drug. You have taken 3 pills meaning 2575 mg of amoxycillin.
Let me tell you that doses upto 3 g as a single dose is given in patients with dental abscesses, gonorrhea etc. The only problem with high dose is gastro-intestinal disturbances like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, burning sensations in upper abdomen etc.
Don't be panic. You can take some medication to decrease gastric acid secretion like pantoprazole. There is nothing serious. Just relax.

Take care in future regarding dosing schedule....
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor