Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

98 years old having fever, rapid heartbeat and watery brown colored diarrhea. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
My mother 98 years old has been having watery brown colored diarrhea it started as soft bowel movements three days ago this morning turned into diarrhea. Has fever of 101 and rapid heart beat of 100-110. Was in the hospital two days ago for treatment of dehydration and low potassium came home stable. She had taken a 3 day course of Cipro two weeks ago for a UTI. This morning we gave a stool sample for culture and also to check for C. Diff. Report will not come back till tomorrow afternoon should we start empirical treatment with Flagyl until the report comes back?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 12 hours later
God bless your mother who is 98 years young.
C.Difficile infection is more common among
nursing home residents since the asymptomatic
carrier rate is high there and easy to contract the
At her age , there are are a number of causes for
sudden onset of diarrhea. From minor food poisoning,
diverticulitis, vascular causes (Ischemic colitis) , viral
etc. Since she was on Cipro two weeks ago, you are
absolutely correct in thinking about the possibility
of C.Difficile infection.
I agree with you starting her on Flagyl 250 mg. three
times a day (Lower dose since she is elderly) and make
sure her hydration is good. Yogurt (Plain) is good.
Pedialyte solution supplement is also good.
I wish her well.
Happy holidays.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 98 years old having fever, rapid heartbeat and watery brown colored diarrhea. Treatment? 6 hours later
Dear Dr. Narasi
thank you very much for your reply the C Diff came back negative although she is continuing to have loose stools we are doing as much as possible to orally hydrate her with Pedialyte is it OK to try Immodium?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 53 minutes later
Hope they tested the stool for both Toxin A and Toxin B.
Pedialyte is fine for hydration. Imodium will stop the diarrhea.
Sometimes, just one capsule may bind her up at that age.
Have to be careful. Peptobismol liquid one teaspoon three times
a day may be better for her. But, I wan't to caution you that her
stool might turn dark or black from bismuth. Don't worry.
Wish her well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 98 years old having fever, rapid heartbeat and watery brown colored diarrhea. Treatment? 5 hours later
Dr Narasi
thanks again for your reply. They tested the stool using the nucleic acid amplification method which is the latest FDA approved test and should cover both Toxin A and B. Her other stool cultures will come back tomorrow but she continues to have loose stools three to four times a day her fever is gone and her heart rate is around 80 now. We did give her a dose of Imodium but it did not help and we are trying our best to keep her hydrated. Question is should we continue with the Flagyl which we stopped after the negative C Diff result is it possible that we got a false negative and is there anything else we can try? Today its been 36 hrs since it started could this be viral?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 10 hours later
It is possible to have a false negative test.
Until you get more results from the stool
culture , I don't see any problem in continuing
As I had mentioned before , there are other
causes of diarrhea in an elderly including viral.
If it is viral, most often it is self limiting and
should get better.
I wish her well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor