58 years old. Test showed blood pressure of 105 over 55. Is this normal?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I'M 58 years old female and blood preasure is 105 over 55. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later

105 over 55 is a bit low when compared to the normal. Specially the diastolic (55) reading is very low and can be called hypotensive if you have other symptoms. It is concerning if associated with symptoms such as dizziness, chest pain, breathing difficulty, etc. It needs to be evaluated and treated according.

Sometime low food and fluid intake can present with such a reading. Avoiding fasting and improving the fluid intake can improve the readings. Therefore I suggest you to stop dieting for few days and get your Blood pressure examined by a professional.

Hope I answered your query.Let me know if you have other concerns.

P.S:Do get your BP examined on three different occasions with no preceding exertion. This will give accurate values of your blood pressure and help in managing with suitable remedies.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later
Do i need to ese a heart Dr.? Sometimos my heart beat is 45 . I do exercise.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you may have to consult the Cardiologist (heart doctor).

The heart rate and the blood pressure are inter-related. The cause for low BP could be the cause for low heart rate.

Wish you good health.