44 years old. Planning for child. Having irregular period. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Question: hi im 44 and have irregular periods can i still get pregnant?
as im desperate for another baby.thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
At 44,you are almost peri-menopausal. We need to evaluate your ovarian status.
You should get your AMH levels checked. Poor ovarian status will make it difficult to have natural conception. If you are having irregular cycles already, then your transition may have started already.So i suggest you consult your doctor and then get your AMH,LH,FSH levels checked.
IVF will be the other option in case its seen that your ovarian status is poor.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
ABOUT four weeks ago I had a postive pregnancy test which said I was 3-4 weeks pregnant,I have done a test since and it says 1-2 weeks,what is going on?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
If the pregnancy is showing less gradually,its not a good sign.You need to get beta hcg levels done every 48 hrs. If the levels gradually decrease then chances are that this pregnancy will abort. By 6 weeks from lmp,cardiac activity should show up. If thats not the case on ultrasound, then this pregnancy may need to be terminated.
Get that blood test done if you havent.