Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

44 years old. Planning for child. Having irregular period. Can I be pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
hi im 44 and have irregular periods can i still get pregnant?
as im desperate for another baby.thank you XXXXXXX
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
At 44,you are almost peri-menopausal. We need to evaluate your ovarian status.
You should get your AMH levels checked. Poor ovarian status will make it difficult to have natural conception. If you are having irregular cycles already, then your transition may have started already.So i suggest you consult your doctor and then get your AMH,LH,FSH levels checked.
IVF will be the other option in case its seen that your ovarian status is poor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 44 years old. Planning for child. Having irregular period. Can I be pregnant? 4 minutes later
ABOUT four weeks ago I had a postive pregnancy test which said I was 3-4 weeks pregnant,I have done a test since and it says 1-2 weeks,what is going on?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
If the pregnancy is showing less gradually,its not a good sign.You need to get beta hcg levels done every 48 hrs. If the levels gradually decrease then chances are that this pregnancy will abort. By 6 weeks from lmp,cardiac activity should show up. If thats not the case on ultrasound, then this pregnancy may need to be terminated.
Get that blood test done if you havent.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor