26 years old. Is it possible to increase height with l-arginine and l-ornithine capsules?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: my age is 26, my height is 5"2 and i really depress anbout this. i m doing lot of stretching exercises, can i increase my height with taking some l-arginine and l-ornithine capsules which is available in the market? if yes witch one good for me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
The height of the man increases till the age of 21 years and cannot improve further.
According to human physiology, around the age of 21 years bones get closely joined together and they do not develop further,so the height of a male increases till 21 years of age, but we can’t absolutely say that height does not increase after this age. We can say that the development won’t be visible as it was earlier.

If you are 26 and you are not happy with your height, it does not necessarily mean that you should give up as there will still be a chance that your growth plates haven’t closed (only an x-ray can tell you this).
The essential amino acid supplements like l- arginine or l- ornithine are not likely to increase the growth hormone secretion now.
The best way then to improve your growth during this point is to increase the amount of growth hormone in your body by getting more sleep, and also by taking hot showers and exercising which also results in more growth hormone,doing yoga and stretching.

Failing all this, if your height affects your confidence and lifestyle, then there surgical procedures available that can increase the length of your legs by breaking them and pulling them apart so that they heal between the gaps. This however is a very painful procedure that requires you to endure broken legs and bolts drilled into your bones for months or years.
The real best solution to the problem then, is simply to value the benefits of being slightly shorter and to come to terms with your natural height.
Be happy and enjoy your life.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Dear doctor,
thank you for your reply,
I don’t want to do my x-ray (about growth plates), please doctor don’t get me wrong, because if x-ray report will negative then I will be really upset, I want to hold these all on my God or luck. I have got 2 months and I want to take a chance for height growth in this 2 or 3 months doing yoga and stretching, and I hope result will positive. But apart from that body needs a protein so which type of protein or medicine (capsules) should I take ? just imagine if my growth plates are not closed ? as you said. please doctor i request you to be positive for me.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can take a high protein diet like eggs and lean meat with milk and its products. Taking a protein supplement or some height increase capsules are not going to help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.