Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

1 year 9 months child suffering from vomiting and loose motions. Suggest some medicine and test to be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1969
Answered : 17665 Questions
My Son ( 1 year 9 months) vomitted 2 times and passed motion (loose) 3 times on last friday night, So we consulted the doctor and she prescribed following medicine

ondem syrup
And one bacterial ampule

After having the medicine he fully recovered and never had loose motion or vomitting

Now he is taking execess food from moring. He is saying that he is feeling hungry and having food continously
from morning to evening. When we try to stop him he will start crying and will not stop at all. Because of this he is unable to concentrate on anything.
He will play for 5 min and then will feel upset and will come to kitchen for food.

When we report this to doctor she gave "Junior Lanzol 15mg tablet XXXXXXX every day in empty stomech.
Even after taking this medicine there is no change at all(waited 2 days).

After saturday he passed motion yesterday Thursday and today ( sun-wed no motion). Motion was normal yesterday but today stool was hard.

I feels like he might be feeling some burning sensation and he not able to express

Is any of the medicine cause acidity or will it upset the stomech? What are the possible problem that you can tell for his execessive food consumption? Any home remedy ?

When we are telling this issue to doctor they are recommending to give food as much as he want.

Yes we can give if food but if there is no stop at all what we will do ?

Any bood test need to be done ? How we can check whether he is having ulcer or stomech burning ?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in,

Increased appetite and food craving are associated symptoms following any acute infections. I think what your son has is also probable related to the same. So I agree with your doctor and you can continue giving him food as long as he doesn't complain of stomach upset.

My suggestions to you are:
- Give him food containing more bulk so that he will feel satisfied and his stomach is full. In addition give him plenty of fruits and vegetables. This will reduce his demand for food.
- After giving food divert his mind for playing some games, chatting with him so that he will forget food for some time.
- Discuss with his doctor about deworming to take care of any worm infestation.

If he has acidity or burning sensation in the stomach, junior lanzol will take care of it. So continue with it as suggested by your doctor.

In all, I do not think your son's complaint is a serious problem. And you do not need any blood test.
If he persists to have this problem, let say for 2-3 months, you may consider getting his blood tested to rule out thyroid disorders.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, you are free to ask me. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 1 year 9 months child suffering from vomiting and loose motions. Suggest some medicine and test to be done? 2 hours later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for you reply.

I really wish to hear that he doesn't have any problem, but at the same time I am worried that If I have not treated on time it may get worse.

I understand that food consumption normally increase after such infection.

But the way he is taking is food in every 5 minuets. I tried to play with him, tried to take him out , let him play with other kids these are the activities that used to make him happy. Now he is not able to concentrate on anything and he will return back to kitchen for food.

My mom and cousin had similar issue when they taken some antibiotics (she felt burning and was feeling to take food all the time)

I heared like if we are not treated this on time it will turn to ulcer.

I just expressed my concern here may be blunders.

Do you think any of the medicine that I mentioned in the previous mail may cause such issues ?

Also If I am giving food upon his demand, will it end up with vomiting and dysentery again?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I understand your concern. But do not worry. Proton pump inhibitor such as Junior Lansoprazole should take care and prevent any gastrointestinal ulcer / gastritis.

So as long as he can digest food, do not worry. If he gets nausea or loose motions due to over eating then consult your doctor.

As far as the medicines used by him during the time of infection is no associated with his current symptoms.

I hope within a week time everything will be alright; if not, you can go for pediatrician opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have further clarification, you can close the discussion.

Wish good health to your beloved son.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 1 year 9 months child suffering from vomiting and loose motions. Suggest some medicine and test to be done? 17 days later

I hve consulted one docton in kerala he adivised to give two medicine

BANDY --> given two time to clear worms
ZYMEX -> given 5 days ( it is digestive enzymes and for dyspepsia)

He was ok for 5 days but was having comparatively more food .Later when we came back to bangalore situation become same.

He is very upset inside home but when we are taking him outside he will play

Now we cannot eat anything in front of him and once we gave something he need more and more

We have done a thyroid test and make sure that he don't have thyroid related issues.

He will play outside and will watch rhymes CDs, other than his attitude completly changed.

Whey I consulted a doctor in bangalore again, he told that may be child feeling some stess and and may be asking for food in on order to avoid this.

How can we determine whether this is a psycological problem or problem with stomech?

Can we need to do any more testing ? like stool test , Blood sugar test

If it is psycological problem how do we overcome this situation.

it is not only problem with the hunger he will now start every now and then and it seems like he is upset

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Now it seems that this might be behavioral disorder in children.

To determine this and any psychological problem you may consult pediatric psychiatrist.

However, as you have given anti-worm treatment you can wait for few days to see the result.

Meanwhile you can go for his stool test and blood sugar estimation.

If all reports are normal, then consult pediatric psychiatrist.

I wish speedy recovery of your son.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 1 year 9 months child suffering from vomiting and loose motions. Suggest some medicine and test to be done? 1 hour later
I think there are specification for all the tests.

Can you please let me know what I need to mention for doing stool and sugar test?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back,
For stool routine test with stool for Ova and cyst. A stool culture is needed if nothing significant on routine testing.
You should go for Fasting Blood sugar (after 10 hour fast) and Post prandial blood sugar ( 2 hour after your breakfast).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor