Swollen right foot from base, stiffened, red and tender with headaches. What could it be ?

Since Thursday, after a long drive, my right foot , top center to left about 4 inches up from base of big toe , is a little red, slightly swollen and tender. It is painful esp in the AM when getting up. Movement helps but also feels stiff. A real pain. I plan on seeing a podiatrist next week, but just wondering of what it could be. NSAIDS cause me rebound headaches so I avoid them. Any thoughts? And thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 20 Nov 2012