Lumpiness in buttocks three weeks after falling, swollen, no pain or redness. Done icing. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About 3 weeks ago I fell on some stairs and landed very hard on my upper right butt cheek and my tailbone. I obviously had some swelling and bruising that took nearly 2 weeks to fade. I had no other problems except i could feel lumpiness in the area where I landed on my butt. So today, I wake up and that area is swollen up again. I have no pain, no redness, my skin is not hot nor do i have other symptoms. I put ice on it and called my doctor's office just to be sure. They can't get me in and suggested I go to the ER however I don't feel that it is an Emergency but am concerned that this has happened so long after my fall. Is this normal?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
The appearance of a lump three weeks after the injury when the bruise had subsided can be due to an inflammation in the area of bony injury.
Putting ice and taking a mild anti inflammatory like ibuprofen will help in decreasing the inflammation. In case there is any pain or redness or fever, then a direct examination is recommended to detect the exact cause. An MRI scan may be needed to detect any soft tissue injury in the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Lumpiness in buttocks three weeks after falling, swollen, no pain or redness. Done icing. Is it normal? 22 minutes later
There actually is some mild pain and I assume that it is nothing to worry about?? I do sit a lot for work which may be the reason, though I do not sit directly on the affected area.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The mild pain is not worrisome and is suggestive of an inflammation. It will be taken care of with ibuprofen. Avoid sitting on any hard surfaces.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.