Have jaundice, infected with herpes zoster and painful blisters near eye. Safe to take painkillers?

sir. my mom intially having jaundice now her jaundice is reduced to 1.9 and now she got infected with herpes zoaster .near eye area having painful blisters .my question is can i give painkiller to her and which is safe for her liver.please guide..thank you..god bless you. my email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

All most all the NSAID's (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) can cause nausea, gastritis, jaundice etc but only if used in excessive dose and that too for a long time.

Since analgesics are required for a very limited period, in your mother case, you may consider giving her Ibuprofen whenever she is suffering from severe pain. Please get the exact dosage of it, prescribed by her primary treating doctor.

A limited use of Ibuprofen should not cause any problem to your mother.

I hope it helps however; you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck