Dizziness and fever in child. Vomiting. Responds well to Ibuprofen and behaves normally after medication.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
10 year old boy complains of dizziness and has a fever. recently vomited. responds well to ibuprofin (sp?) and plays and behaves normally after a dosage.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Fever and vomiting are signs of infection; either viral or bacterial. The dizziness could be due to dehydration.
If the fever is mild 100 to 101 and the vomiting does not recur then it could be some viral illness or food contamination which should resolve in a couple of days. In that case you may continue the ibuprofen for temperature. But remember that ibuprofen can sometimes cause gastritis so use only if necessary.
I would advise you to consult your pediatrician for a thorough examination and confirmation of diagnosis so that if any signs of bacterial infection are found by doctor like abdominal tenderness or pharyngitis, etc. he can start appropriate antibiotics early.
At present the situation doesn't seem worrisome but if fever persists or vomiting recurs and child develops any new symptom like rash, pain, and diarrhea then seek prompt consultation. To help faster relief give the child plenty of fluids and nutritious food and adequate rest

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you do not have any other queries.