Ask a Urologist   »  

Accidentally spilled hand sanitizer on penis. Having burning sensation. Looking for relief

I accidentally spilled hand sanitizer on my penis I wasn't able to get it off right away. I have burning and iteration it has gone down the last day or so. Is that a reaction to the sanitizer or something else. What would you recommend doing?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 36 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

The active ingredient in commonly used hand sanitizers are: isopropanol, ethanol, n-propanol, or povidone-iodine. They are used for hand where skin is thick.

Penile skin is thin. If hand sanitizers come in contact with penile skin, it causes irritation and inflammation, which lead to pain and burning sensation. Usually this burning last for few days only and subside without any treatment.

Following steps will help in rapid recovery:
-Avoid sex for 1 week, which will give appropriate time for self healing process.
-Wear loose undergarments to prevent irritation
-Take multivitamins for 1-2 weeks
-If burning is still present, you can use cream like Vaseline to decrease irritation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Accidentally spilled hand sanitizer on penis. Having burning sensation. Looking for relief 40 hours later
Thanks! for the fast response how long do you think it will take to heal? The pain has gone down. But it still hurts a bit.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

In absence of infection, it takes 5-7 days. Above mentioned steps will also prevent infections and will promote healing.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.