Suggest an ointment for minor scratches and injuries for children. Is it necessary to take a typhoid vaccination?

My two yr old son often fall down and gets injuries while playing.Doctor can you please suggest some oinment (creame) that i can use for these minor scratches and injuries which may relieve pain and keep the area not prone to infection.Typhoid vaccination wen should it be taken and is it a necessary vaccine to be taken..?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 35 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Many preparations are available over the counter that you can use. I would suggest you to use a preparation containing iodine as it is the best topical antiseptic and the most powerful. Many brands are there but I prescribe Povidone Iodine for my patients. You would need to wash the wound thoroughly with water and dry before application.

There are no such ointments available that prevent an infection from happening. Ointments like above certainly prevent many infections when initiated considerably quickly. An injection of Tetanus Toxoid may be necessary if the wound is dirty, or has come in contact with dirt later. This would give immunity from tetanus for 6 months. The dosage for your 2 yr child will given appropriately by your administering physician.

Typhoid vaccine is of two types - the oral vaccine is licensed for use from 6 years and above. Boosters are recommended yearly. The injectable vaccine is licensed for use from 2 years and older, and boosters are required every 3 years. Yes, the Indian Pediatric Association does recommend these vaccines as per the stipulated age groups.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.