Getting burning sensation in throat and have bleeding uvula at the back of throat. Any solution?

ENT Specialist
I woke up this morning and my throat felt like it was burning. My first thought that I must have fallen asleep with my mouth open, but drinking water did not help. It felt like I had mucus in the back of my throat, but when I spit, it was blood. My uvula is bleeding and the back of my throat very red.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms described by you seems to be related to a condition of the throat called 'acute pharyngitis'.

Acute pharyngitis is usually of viral in origin, characterised by congested and inflamed mucosa of the throat with or without fever. The bleeding you noticed is due to rupture of the the congested and inflamed minute blood vessels while clearing the throat.

Do to worry! This is a very common ENT problem, with appropriate measures this can be taken care of.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water. Warm water increases the blood supply to the mucosa and reduces the inflammation and pain.
2. Use povidone iodine throat spray 3-4 times a day, after meals. Iodine being a good antiinflammatory medicine, helps in reducing the congestion and pain.
3. Try taking an antiinflammatory medicine such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the pain relief.
4. Avoid smoking, coffee, chilled food and beverages till you recover.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon