Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What treatment i should give for diabetes ?

My dad has diabetes , his blood glucose level is as high as 513 and he now has endema(swollen right leg), and an ulcer wound on the right let, everything wont heal. He has done scans and tests, the scans shows his organs are perfect including the heart . He has been on insulin for weeks now but the glucose level reduces and increases and the swollen leg wont heal too. Pls what do you advice?
Asked On : Sat, 1 Oct 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  111
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello.Welcome.Your dad requires urgent hospitalization as he having severe uncontrolled diabetes along with peripheral vascular disease along with non healing ulcer.This combination of problems is very dangerous and if untreated can lead to gangrene and amputation.Good luck.
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi lisa,
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
since your father's sugar level is too high he needs you are on insulin continue it
for the wounds to heal you have to maintain his blood sugar level in the normal limit with regular check ups.if infection develops consult your doctor
do all dietary modification with medications provided by your doctor
if he is overweight try to reduce his in touch with your doctor time to time
take care
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Naresh Ruparelia's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Your fathers blood sugar is very high and needs urgent hospitaliztion for control of
diabetes and his foot care.He is to be treated with short acting insulin and preferably
with infuson pump with 1hr rbs titration and proper care of foot aswell THanks
Answered: Sun, 2 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
Anesthesiologist Dr. Shivakumar. M. C.'s  Response
Hi Lisa,
Your dad blood glucose is very high it needs aggressive treatment with regular insulin for some days before starting long acting insulin, secondly diet has to as frequent small intake in regular interval. As the blood glucose is high ulcer of the legs wont heal untill blood glucose comes down, otherwise ulcer may spread high in the leg and leads to wet gangrene, My advice is consult diabetologist and take regular insulin as infusion before shifting to long acting insulin.
Take care
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor