Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

What treatment can be done for her inability to hear ?

My nephew is unable to listen voice and Doctor has done BERA testing and they recognized she is unable to listen ...she is having this since birth(21 months)...please suggest your best..
Asked On : Mon, 28 Feb 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Kindly get the following tests done. I assume that an OAE (Oto Acoustic Emission) Test has been done earlier.

1. ASSR (Auditory Steady State Response) Testing

2. Aided Audiometry / ASSR

3. Aided Behavioral / Play Observation Audiometry

4. Impedence Audiogram to rule out middle ear defects.

5. Genetic Testing.

6. MRI & HRCT Temporal Bones.

It is important to know that if sound does not reach the brain within the first few years, it may never develop the ability to understand speech due to a process known as Neural Scavenging where that part of the brain reserved for hearing is taken up by the other senses. A hearing aid is a priority to amplify as much sound as possible till the diagnosis of the exact problem.

Answered: Tue, 1 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor