What causes persistent dizziness?

Question
I've been having some dizziness. The most powerful incident was while driving about a month ago and the whole visual field of the road and trees were spinning sideways like after a hangover. I haven't had a hangover in 35 years and do not drinking heavily. Please advise.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The problem seems to be in the inner ear

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The problem seems to be related to the organ of balance which lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) is also associated with the sense of hearing. Certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations as you have described but alcohol could have. I would insist you to get an audiometry done. It will possibly point to the underlying cause. Meclizine is an over the counter medication that can help. Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed but since these are prescription medicines you might need to visit a doctor to get these prescribed. You also need to take plenty of water and fluids to drink.

Let me know if I could help further.