• question-icon

What should be done by an Rh negative mother during pregnancy?

hi good doctor.... i am seema 33 yrs old and i am in 18weeks pregnant and i am rh negative mother can u help when i have to do my coombs test and what is the test i have to during my next visit. and my husbend is rh positive and am primigravida. t q.
Wed, 11 Jun 2014
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Hello!
Dont worry because It's unusual for maternal and foetal blood to mix during pregnancy, and sensitisation does not normally occur until birth.
You will be tested for the production of antibodies at 28 weeks and if you have them your pregnancy will be monitored carefully.
The good news is that there is a simple way to prevent sensitisation during pregnancy.
Anti-D immunoglobulin can be given whenever there is a risk of sensitisation (such as after a fall, bump or invasive medical procedures).
It can also be given routinely in the third trimester for all women who are RhD negative.
It will probably be given at week 28 and week 34.