Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

What measures can one take to get rid of depression ?

Today in my psychology class one of the therapists at my school came in to talk about depression . After hearing about it, I think I may have that problem. It runs in my family. I m generally unhappy about something most of the time. I ll have times where I m happy and silly, but I m depressed more often than I m happy. There are a lot of things in my life that aren t great and there have always been and I ve always thought that those reasons were why I was unhappy, but after today I m wondering if it s maybe just that I m clinically depressed. I don t particularly want to see a therapist about it, but I think it may be helpful to maybe talk to my parents and my doctor about trying antidepressants and seeing if they help. I really don t want to see a therapist, I d just like to see if there s a simple way to feel a little better about myself and about life. Information? Thoughts?
Asked On : Fri, 17 Feb 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dear Sir/Madam

Simply being sad does not qualify for depression. Many untoward event we face often leads us to feel sad but it does not mean it is depression. To labelled as depression it should be persistent and pervasive for most part of the day for almost everyday leading into some impairments in personal or socio-occupational functioning. In every day life once in a while every body feels some depressive symptoms but not depression. Since you are working well chances are less that you are having clinical depression, at most you may have dysthymia a condition where very mild symptoms of depression is felt.
Hope i answered your query.

Hope you will enjoy life.
Answered: Sat, 14 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
It seems that you might have early symptoms of Depression.
It may not require antidepressant medicines but only counseling will help for your problem.
Consult psychiatrist and psychologist for counseling.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Fri, 17 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor