What is the treatment for rectal cancer?

My father is 68 years old and he suffering with cancer in rectum. The stage of cancer is four.
With the suggestion of tata memorial (Mumbai), the temporary by pass system of steel have been done on 17th oct’10 at Kolkata. After the operation his stomach getting too large than normal size and its filling with gas. He is eating some food, which are negligible.
As per doctor advice we are done blood report and its found ok. At that position can I start the Cancer treatment.
Mon, 29 Jun 2015
Radiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

Cancer in rectum stage 4 requires regular follow up and treatment. It is important to know if he is having any complication from surgery for cancer and whether there is any problem with bypass. Since this is stage 4 cancer the survival is till 2 years and it is important to start chemotherapy early.

If blood reports are normal and his general condition is good then starting chemotherapy might be required to extend his survival. Chemotherapy is given in cycle and blood report to be repeated regularly. Treatment response is known by doing follow up test. Please do not worry.