What is multiinfarct dementia ?

What is multiinfarct dementia ?
Mon, 6 May 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Neurologist 's  Response
Hi
Multiple infarcts in brain can lead to dementia , hence called multi infarct dementia.It is atype of vascular dementia.
Dementia is caused by problems in supply of blood to the brain, typically by a series of minor strokes. This type of dementia was previously referred to as "multi-infarct dementia", and also hardening of the arteries. Vascular dementia is the second most common form of dementia after Alzheimer's disease (AD) in older adults.[ Multi-infarct dementia (MID) is thought to be an irreversible form of dementia, and its onset is caused by a number of small strokes or sometimes, one large stroke preceded or followed by other smaller strokes. The term refers to a group of syndromes caused by different mechanisms all resulting in vascular lesions in the brain. Early detection and accurate diagnosis are important, as vascular dementia is at least partially preventable.

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Neurologist
Hi tech city , Hyderabad
deepathirai's  Response
Multi-infarct dementia (MID) is a common cause of memory loss in the elderly. MID is caused by multiple strokes (disruption of blood flow to the brain). Disruption of blood flow leads to damaged brain tissue. Some of these strokes may occur without noticeable clinical symptoms. Doctors refer to these as “silent strokes.” An individual having a silent stroke may not even know it is happening, but over time, as more areas of the brain are damaged and more small blood vessels are blocked, the symptoms of MID begin to appear. MID can be diagnosed by an MRI or CT of the brain, along with a neurological examination. Symptoms include confusion or problems with short-term memory; wandering, or getting lost in familiar places; walking with rapid, shuffling steps; losing bladder or bowel control; laughing or crying inappropriately; having difficulty following instructions; and having problems counting money and making monetary transactions. MID, which typically begins between the ages of 60 and 75, affects men more often than women. Because the symptoms of MID are so similar to Alzheimer’s disease, it can be difficult for a doctor to make a firm diagnosis. Since the diseases often occur together, making a single diagnosis of one or the other is even more problematic.