Suggest treatment for frontotemporal dementia

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 3 Oct 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: hello Doctor,

is there any treatment or any new developments to arrest or improve the condition of an FTD(Fronto Temporal Dementia) patient?

Are there any liquid alternate supplements for Prodep and Neurobian Forte?

thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is symptomatic

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I searched for any new developments for frontotemporal dementia. I found that still there is no new development to arrest the condition. Management is based on symptoms as following:

Simple interventions (puzzles, music, and other structured activities, controlled access to food and drink) may help troublesome behaviours and contribute to a stable routine.
problems with walking may happen as the disease evolves.
Speech and language therapy may be needed as well as assessment of swallowing and advice on dietary modification,
Mobility and continence aids may become necessary later in the course.
Programmed respite, counselling, and psychological support for caregivers should not be overlooked: in contrast to other neurodegenerative diseases (notably Alzheimer’s disease), FTD tends to affect personal identity, and the sense of living with a stranger is often a source of distress for families and caregivers.
Genetic counselling of at-risk family members should always be undertaken in collaboration with a clinical genetics service.

As concerns pharmacotherapy:
-modest improvement of behavioural symptoms with trazodone
-Galantamine may be beneficial in progressive nonfluent aphasia
-The role of Alzheimer disease medications, such as acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists is unclear
-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors may be useful in modulating intrusive or compulsive behaviours in some patients
-Genetic forms of FTD may be particularly attractive candidates for targeted therapies

Oral suspension of prodep is available in market. Check with a bigger pharmacy.

Unfortunately neurobion syrup is not available. But many other brands for mecobalamine syrup are available for example MECONERV SYR syr has similar constitution. Again check with your pharmacy.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee