81 Year old, Diagnosed with alzheimer's, bleeding rectally. Is this something serious?

Hello Doctor, My 81 year old father who has Alzheimer s disease (for about 3 years or so now), said that he was bleeding rectally today for a few hrs. None before or after. is this something to panic about? I went through ulcerative colitis about 5 years ago and suffered alot of internal bleeding . I was the only one that was excited about it.
Mon, 1 Sep 2014
Radiologist 's  Response
Thanks for using hcm. It is unlikely that your grandfather is suffering from ulcerative colitis unless he is already a know case. Bleeding from rectum can be caused by a mass or polyp or hemorrhoids(piles). He needs to undergo per rectal examination to determine the cause. Hence i advise you to go to a local surgeon who can examine and if required he will order for furthur investigation like colonoscopy. If it was a onetime symptom and does not recur anytime in the future you can ignore this and not worry about it.