Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What do high sgpt and sgot levels indicate ?

hiiiiiiiii just 2 days before i went for blood test nd my sgpt( alt ) level is 199 units/ml nd my sgot(ast) level is 73 units/ml nd my doctor prescribed me to tke sylbon 140 is anything serious...?
Asked On : Sat, 10 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  713
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Thanks for writing in.
Your SGPT and SGOT levels are quite high and they suggest that something could be wrong with the liver. Problems to the liver can arise due to alcohol abuse, hepatitis B and hepatitis C infection and drugs.
I would suggest that you get the following tests done:
a. HBs antigen
b. Anti HBs antibody(IgG)
c. Anti-HCV antibodies
d. Gamma glutamyl transferase levels
e. Ultrasound of the abdomen

This will help us fix the cause. Further management can proceed accordingly. Till then, please refrain from using alcohol and avoid using any drugs.
Please get back with the reports and we can take it ahead.

Answered: Thu, 29 Mar 2012
General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Ganguly's  Response

Thanks for your query.

Your SGPT & SGOT level are quite high and they are sign of liver injury.

You may discuss with your treating doctor / gastroenterologist for some investigations and proper management.

Best wishes.
Answered: Sat, 25 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor