• question-icon

What could be the white patch on the head since childhood?

Idk what s on my head?! It has been there for as long as I can remember and when I first noticed it it was brown now it looks white I always thought it was a mole, but now I do not know. It s about a lil button size white in color and it has been there for maybe 10-15 years. I m 19 years of age and pregnant. Is this thing going to hurt me.?!?!?!
Tue, 18 Mar 2014

White round patch might be halo nevus as initially it was brown, now there is hypomelanosis surrounding it.Halo nevus are also known as Sutton's nevus or leukoderma acquisitum centrifugum. Halo nevu is named such because they are a mole (nevi) that is surrounded by an area of depigmentation that resembles a halo.As halo nevus is only of cosmetic significance, no treatment is required,and you will remain asymptomatic. Still you consult dermatologist and he may look for any changes in appearance of halo nevus. If there is any change in appearance or is associated with pain, itch, and infection he may give treatment.
I hope you got my answer.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD