• question-icon

What causes frequent fainting?

I have been fainting for 1 year and 8 months. I had all kinds of test done for heart, nuero, blood work, And still no one what is causing the fainting. I just turned 51. I have fibromyalgia, low blood sugar, high cholesterol, Overweight by 50 pounds, chronic fatigue and pain, inflammation, ostepoenia, mild triscup and mitral regu, burning throughout body, swelling in hands and face, hypothyroidism, chronic bladder inflammation, anxiety and panic attacks, now dealing with depression because of the fainting,to name some of health issues. I have fainted 100s and 100s times in the past year and 8 months.
Thu, 12 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

First of all, you should do an ECHO on your heart to assess the ejection fraction. Second, you should measure your blood pressure, and if it were high you should receive medical treatment, decrease salt and fat intake and take a drug to reduce the cholesterol level. For women, the prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills or a hormonal replacement therapy can cause stagnation of the bile resulting in breathlessness anxiety and weight gain, besides disturbing other endocrine gland functions. So they should ask a gynecologist for help. Third, the assessment of thyroid function test is crucial in your case. Fainting cannot cause depression, but you have several systemic diseases that cause fainting, so you should deal with them before taking antidepressant.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Mustafa, Neurologist