What causes blood in semen post vasectomy?

A friend of mine had a vasectomy in April of 2011 and everything went routine but now almost none months down the road there's blood in his seamen and when he ejaculates the left side is beginning to hurt.. Could he have an STI or could it be a complication?
Thu, 11 Feb 2016
Urologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i can fully understand your anxiety.
The blood in semen called hemo/hemato-spermia, isn't due to vasectomy.
Common causes are prostate enlargement,it's cancer and prostatitis.
1.He'll need to get examined by an Urologist, and get certain tests like,
2.Urine routine and culture.
3.Blood routine,creatinine,RBS,PSA,platelets and LFT.
4.Ultrasound scan-KUB and TRUS.(trans rectal scan).
According to the reports,proper treatment can be advised.
For my expert opinion on any doubt,send it as a direct question, to me.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.