How can a chalazion in the eye be treated?

Posted on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello Doctor,

This is regarding Chalazion. My wife is having Chalazion in her left eye from past 4 Months and is left untreated due to pregnancy. We have shown it to the doctor and he mentioned that it can be left untreated till the delivery of baby in September. He mentioned that she can apply Hot Compress and apply a medicine - Maxitrol Category C Drug (Steroid) to it after consultation with her gynecologist.

Request for your advice on the next steps if it is safe to apply this medicine while pregnant as it is a Steroid.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
minor surgery of local ic over lid gand is to be inscised and scooped.

Detailed Answer:
It is stagnation of secreation of zies gland which acts as lubricant.Treatment is only surgery by resection of gland and scooping out the stagnated material. There is no contraindication in pregnancy. It is a minor surgery ,local anaesthesia is to be injected in lid.Lid is to be averted and gland is incised and content scooped out. Neosporin ophthalmic ointment can be applied. An eye pad is to be given and with pressure bandage and eye is to be closed.Sterility is to be observed next day.Eye is to be opened, vision is to be checked .Ofloxacin 0.3% eye drop can be applied.Eye is to be closed with bandage. Next day the bandage is to be totally removed then cornea can be examined for clarity and visual acuity be tested
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 10 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advice.
We have shown it to an Ophthalmologist here and he wants to first try applying Maxitrol Category C Drug (Steroid) before going for Surgery.
Please let us know if it is safe to apply this drug in 36 weeks pregnancy. Asking so as this drug is an Steroid.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
inscison of gland with scooping is to be done applyneosporine eye ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Steroid should be avoided. It is stagnation of zies gland and secreation are lubricant. Treatment is minor surgery resection of gland and scooping of content. Neosporin ophthalmic ointment can be applied and eye to be closed with sterile bandage. It can be kept like that for a day and next day it can be removed. Clarity of cornea to be examined. vision is to be tested.You can apply Ofloxacin 0.3% eye drop 6 hourly. Sterility is to be maintained
Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist