• question-icon

What causes blood blister?

my husband had a blood blister on the back of his ear on the upper part, while showering he rubbed it and now it is bleeding. He takes 1 81mg aspirin per day. How or what can I do to stop the bleeding. I have tried applying pressure for awhile but every time I take the gauze pad off it starts to bleed again
Thu, 31 Jul 2014

It seems that you may be having pyogenic granuloma. It is also called granuloma telangiectaticum. There is proliferation of capillaries after minor trauma. It is a benign growth comprised of capillaries and that is why die to minor trauma cause blleding. You immediately consult for perfect diagnosis and treatment. In my patients having such growth, I go for electrocautery. It is a minor procedure done under local anaesthesia and done on OPD. Other modes of treatment are cryotherapy,surgical excision or laser therapy. After discussing with your dermatologist, you may go for proper treatment. I hope this would be helpful to you.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD