What causes black patches on face ?

hi,on my face black patches are coming can ypu pls tell me why these are coming and help me with remedy.
Sat, 28 Jan 2012
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Hi!vueed,
Welcome To HealthcareMagic forum,

I suppose by black patches you mean MELASMA,which is nothing but dark pigmentation over cheeks .This is usually due to hormonal changes or may be familial,and gets aggravated by sunlight.In females we commonly see it after delivery or after taking oral contraceptive pills.

These patches are very resistant to treatment and once cleared with medicines there is always a possibility of its recurrence.There are various remedies ,best is to use a broad spectrum sunscreen daily three times .At night one can use de-pigmenting creams only on the spot. These creams either contain hydroquinone, tretinoin, steroids ,glycolic acid or kojic acid .
One can even go for chemical peels from a dermatologist at regular intervals.
The latest is the use of lasers ,but the results are not very promising as compared to the cost involved.
I would advice you to consult a skin specialist and not get carried away by the promises given by a beauty therapist.

regards,
Dr.chawda