Is Tretinoin effective at treating dry, itchy irritated skin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I picked up my prescription for Neosalus cream. I had some left in the old tube, so it was a couple weeks before I opened the prescription package. When I opened it, I found included a tube of Tretinoin, which I don't remember my dermatologist telling me about. I read on WebMD that it is used primarily for acne. Can I use it to repair the skin for which I have been taking Neosalus?
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding tretinoin cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Neosalus cream is used for dry, itchy, irritated skin in atopic dermatitis and for minor skin irritations whereas tretinoin may itself induce irritation of the skin which may manifest as redness, dryness and flaking. I don't think you should use tretinoin cream if your skin is already dry, red or itchy.