What causes black patches on the face?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Some area of my face skin has black patches. I used to not have it before. The remaining face skin is soft smooth and young. Please help in removing black patches and getting soft smooth and young skin. Please let me know of any cream that I can apply
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
remedy for melasma

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps you have Melasma.
I suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen (spf 50+) throughout the day. Reapply every 2 -3 hours.
At night you may use a kojic acid, hydroquinone, arbutin preparation e.g either Radant Lite cream, Depiwhite cream or Kojiglo forte cream for overnight application on black spots/ patches.
Use an exfoliating face wash containing alpha Hydroxy Acids like glycolic acid e.g either AHA Glow face wash or Tone n Glow face wash.
These are prescription medications and can have side effects like redness, irritation therefore i suggest you to use them under supervision and follow up of your local practitioner.

Follow-up: What causes black patches on the face? 8 hours later
Currently, I am applying tretinoin cream.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding pigmentation

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

tretinoin cream is not specifically for the pigmentation.

Follow-up: What causes black patches on the face? 48 minutes later
Can I apply tretinoin along with the creams you advised

Also, as I am just 26, my face skin is tender. But these dark patches are not tender and spoiling my appearance. Please help

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding pigmentation on face

Detailed Answer:
hi.

Tretinoin cream makes the skin slightly senstive and prone to irritants..Therefore I suggest you to stop tretinoin cream while you are using the skin lightening creams