Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What can i use to treat pytiriasis rosea ?

I think I have pytiriasis rosea and am fed up of not knowing what s wrong with me or what to do. Any suggestions? I am a 16-year old male and I got what I think was the herald patch about 8 weeks ago now but only visited the doctors for the first time about 4 weeks in after already trying E45 itch relief cream and aqueous cream . Since then I have been back twice and have seen 3 different doctors in total, each of whom thought the rash was something different. Firstly I was given steroids and antihistamines, which made the rash appear slightly better, but it still itched just as badly. I was then perscribed more antihistamines and a steroid cream (eumovate cream). I tried using this steroid cream until I ran out and towards the end it seemed to be reducing the inflamation of the rash (however it still itched badly, especially when I applied the cream). I went back to the health centre yesterday, hoping to see the same doctor and for him to suggest something else I could try that didn t itch as much. However instead I saw a different doctor who has said it wasn t pityriasis rosea , and that he thought it might be scabies . He perscribed me with some permethrin cream to apply overnight. I only used half a tube (about 15g) as I wasn t sure if it was right for what I thought I had. Immediately after applying the cream, the itching and burning became incredibly tense, and it felt like my whole body was on fire. It was the worse night s sleep I ve had since the start of the rash (and I ve had some bad nights). I m incredibly confused about what to do now, the itching is still unbearable and I can t keep going back to different doctors and getting nowhere. Some days I literally can t be bothered to move I feel so low. Is there anything I can do? Oh, and I ve just applied some eurax cream which I was perscribed yesterday, hasn t really done much, still itching.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  477
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Dear Tobias,

Your story is very interesting indeed.
I started reading this, as you had said, you thought you had pityriasis rosea, and I was surprised to find a patient making such a diagnosis. Your doctor may not be wrong after all- P.rosea can persist upto 12 weeks, and occasionally continue, if it is because of reactivation of certain viruses(HHV-6/7).

The initial bit about the contact with hay however, makes a proposition of hay-mite allergy and eczematization very possible. Your drowsiness is definitely because of antihistamines.

Please spend more time with your dermatologist, and ask him/her to evaluate you in detail. I wish I could help you, but I am limited by this online interface.

Best regards.
Answered: Thu, 5 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,

I would just brief you with the two conditions (pityriasis rosea & scabies)so that you can correlate your problem .

In PR, one gets a herald patch or a mother patch some where near neck.It is bigger than the other patches.One gets multiple patches on whole back in a Christmas tree like pattern.These patches have peripheral scales with central clearing.Mostly these are associated with sore throat or a viral infection.Itching may or may not be present.And it takes long time to go(few months).Treatment consists of steroid and anti histaminics.

In scabies ,one gets sever itching mostly at night with rashes over finger web spaces ,lower part of abdomen,penis and thighs.Your close contact like family members or friends might also complain of similar symptoms as this condition is contagious.Treatment consists of application of anti scabetic cream locally at night below neck.It is very important to wash all your clothes in warm water ,so as to eradicate mites from clothes as well.

So,if you can describe me your symptoms and lesions ,i can guide you with a diagnosis.

Answered: Sun, 10 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor