What can be the cause of severe knee pain ?

I injured my knee years ago playing soccer, I was running full out when my right foot met with the ball at exact same time as the other person, my right leg stopped dead and the rest of my body carried on the motion, my knee twisted alot, I never really went to go get it checked out, after that, I can now twist my foot around to almost 180 degrees, I also have a loss of feeling in the skin on my knee cap. I was in a car accident early last year, and the same knee took all the force of the crash, I again refused to get it checked out but it is started to become unbearable pain daily. My knee gives out on a constant basis and some days I have to limp to be able to get around. Any idea as to what the issue would be as I do not have insurance.
Wed, 18 Jan 2012
Hi welcome to health care magic

After the injury at field the knee was able to flex 180 degree rules out any frature. loss of sensation at knee cap is due to nerve injury. but after this car accident knee pain is increased and movement is restricted suggestive of ligamental injury.. CT or MRI is required to diagnose it.... at present you can apply a knee brace and walk.. need to consult a orthopedician ..
I suggest you to visit an Orthopaedician or Arthroscopy surgeon (key hole surgery Ortopaedician) as you have damaged knee ligaments. If you continue without treatment, this will worsen and you'll land up with a painful knee with limited movements later in life. This will progress to early Osteoarthritis of the knee i.e severe pain, swelling, difficulty in walking. If you dont have an insurance, visit a Government hospital with an Orthopaedics department.