What are the benefits and side effects of Nexito?

Sir i am the principal of 17 yr old boy who is studying in =2. For the past 6 years he was suffering due to depression. I came to know this 5 months back only. For the past 8 months he was taking zosert. Now as per the new medication he is adviced to take nexito 5mg for one week and again for two weeks nexito 10mg. He started taking nexito 5mg for the last three days. The boy has the following symptoms, Hopelessness, talking negatively, unable to study, suicidal tendency. The boy was a top sorer with 95% when he was in 10th std. Now he strongly believe that he is unable to study. Will help him Nexito. Will it have sideeffects?
Wed, 2 Jun 2021

Nexito contains escitalopram that belongs to the group of antidepressant medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors is used in the treatment of depression and other mental disorders like obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, anxiety etc. It helps to enhance moods, subside suicidal thoughts, relieve anxiety or tension etc by increasing the level of chemical mediators like serotonin in the brain. But, like other medications, this medication has some side effects of its own too.

Side effects of this medication are nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, fatigue, headache, sweating, decreased libido, delayed ejaculation, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, upset stomach, gas, chest pain, difficulties in urination, abdominal pain, shortness of breath, allergic reactions etc. If side effects persist then you should consult your doctor first for medical help. So, before start or stop taking this medication, someone should consult his or her doctor first.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician
General & Family Physician Dr. Zubayer Alam's  Response
Nexito contains escitalopram that belongs to the group of antidepressant medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs is used in the treatment of depression and mental disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) etc. This medication helps to increase the level of chemical mediators like serotonin in the brain and relieve anxiety, improve mood as well as reduce suicidal thoughts or tendencies. Like other medications, this medication has its side effects of its own. Side effects are nausea, vomiting, headache, sweating, fatigue, unusual tiredness and weakness, dizziness, sleepiness, decreased libido, decreased ejaculation, constipation or diarrhoea, dry mouth, decreased appetite, joint pain, excessive air or gas in stomach, joint pain, confusion, fast heartbeat, confusion, convulsions, decreased urine output, allergic reactions etc. These side effects are mild and usually go away as the body adjusts to this medication. But, if these side effects persist for long or bother you, then you should consult your doctor promptly.

Dr. Zubayer Alam, General And Family Physician,