Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Want to take Naltrexone 50mg daily to quit drinking. Will it help ?

I would like to try taking Naltrexone 50mg daily to help me stop drinking. I am a doctor have researched this see a psychiatrist and GP. My psychiatrist seems to know less about alcohol than my GP. I feel bad about asking him to prescribe given my relationship with my psychiatrist and so would like to buy it on line as a trial
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Naltrexone is approved for management of alcohol dependence and can help in reducing your craving for alcohol. There are many other alternatives which you can discuss with your doctor. But please bear in mind that these medications simply reduce your craving. For best results, you also need to assess what makes you drink, whether it is negative emotions like anger, sadness, frustration etc or peer pressure and after identifying the triggers, you can handle these better and reduce chances of relapse. These strategies can improve the outcome of your treatment.

Best wishes for an alcohol free life.
Answered: Sat, 1 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor