Is Naltrexone an effective medication to treat alcoholism?

Posted on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Is Naltexone really helpful and safe to reduce alcohol cravings?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is and recommended

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Naltrexone is excellent option in individuals with alcohol addiction and one of the safest options available. It not only decreases craving for alcohol it decreases the effect of alcohol if ingested leading to break in reinforcement cycle and reduced alcohol intake.

The usual dose for naltrexone is 50 mg per day and titrated over two to three days starting from 12.5 mg 25 mg and finally 50 mg. In case idea of regular use is not feasible there are long acting depot preparation is available which can be used once a month.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist