Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Ultrasonography showing hepatosplenomegaly and plural effusion. Lymphadenopathy found. Advice?

hi my name is ahmed ali age 62yrs .I have done ultra sonography of my whole abdomen recently and found that i am suffering from mild hepatosplenomegaly and renal echogenicity is slightly increased and also right sided plural effusion is seen. I have also done the ct scan of the chest the impression show
ct features are suggestive of irregular mass at right lower zone with right hilar lymphadenopathy and areas of consolidation at right upper zone -to exclude possible neoplastic lesion.
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Before answering your query, I would like to give a brief overview of the normal structures present in the right side of the abdomen.
The right upper abdomen is the site where liver with gall bladder, lower part of lung with its covering called pleura.
The CT scan reveals a mass/ growth in right side of upper abdomen.
This mass could be due to enlargement of liver, gall bladder, lung with enlargement of the associated lymph nodes.
The upper zone of right lung show area of consolidation or in simple words an area of solidification.
Normally lung fields are filled with air but in case of infections, inflammation, tumor the lung tissue becomes solidified or consolidated.

The suspicion on the CT scan is that of a malignancy or cancer.
In order to confirm or rule out the possibility of cancer, a biopsy is required.
Biopsy is a procedure where a small piece of the tissue is taken and examined microscopically.
This will help in knowing whether the cancer is present or not.
If yes then from which organ is it arising.

The treatment of the cancer will depend on the extent of the cancer.
It includes surgical removal, chemotherapy and/ or radiotherapy.

I hope my answer is of help to you.
You need to consult your treating doctor for further management.
Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor