What does my biopsy report indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 17 May 2017 in Cancer
Question: I am 54 years of age. I have had breast cancer followed by chemo and radio therapy. I recently had a biopsy done and the result shows I have a blood clot in my uterus. I do have fibroids. I would like to know what the blood clot means. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper biopsy should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Blood clot in the uterus means that there is bleeding from the uterine lining.
It has no other diagnostic importance.
The bleeding can be due to the fibroids, endometrial hyperplasia or endometrial carcinoma.
However, the exact diagnosis can be made by proper endometrial biopsy which yields endometrial tissue and is sent for histopathology.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
I had a biopsy done. The diagnosis stated Endometrial curettings-no intact endometrial tissue present for assessment. My question, Do I need another biopsy done?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Yes, a repeat endometrial tissue is required in which the the endometrial tissue is obtained.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 6 hours later
Thank you. I have an appointment with my gyno on Monday. Should I ask for a hysterectomy as well as the biopsy or wait until after I have had the second biopsy. I really appreciate your advice over the last 24 hours.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
It is better to get a repeat biopsy done and hysterectomy should be planned based on the results.
I am happy to have helped you. You can get back to me by asking a direct question to me on this site.
Dr Deepti Verma