Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Tender scalp, painful swelling behind ears. Done blood test for HIV, Mono. What is this bump?

my scalp had recently become tender in places, almost like when you wear a ponytail to long, I have swelling in the area behind my ears. I went to my GP and he did blood test for everything, including HIV and mono. Slowly the bumps have subsided and the sensitivity got better. Until this morning I have a large ( size of a nickel) bump behind my right ear. It is throbbing almost like a sting, and it hurts when I move my neck . I almost feels like a head- band or glasses that are to tight is pushing against my head. I checked my scalp it is not flaky, or itchy or red. What the heck is this?
Asked On : Mon, 9 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  287
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello madam!
area behind the ear is mastoid. and the history you provided coincides with mastoiditis. had you a recent episode of sore throat of ear pain or hearing disturbances or buzzing in the ear or any vertigo and dizziness?
hurting with the movement of neck indicates it might have become a little abscess or some complication of mastoiditis like bezoalds abscess etc.

Do a simple plain xray film and blood count and audiometry and consult an ear nose throat speciality nearby as you might need a little intervention in this regard.

Dr Shafi Ullah Khan
Answered: Sat, 19 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor