Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
166 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Teenager. Depression due to bad environment at home, difficulty sleeping, inability to trust anyone, rage, suicidal thoughts, weight gain. Help

I've been having depression issues for quite a long time now. At first, it wasn't much of a problem but it's getting harder and harder day by day. I can't sleep (in the last 5 days I only slept for 6 hours). Basically the reason for my depression were my parents. They fought a lot and I was usually dragged into their fights somehow. I was scolded for no good reason. They yelled at me all the time. I wasn't allowed to leave the house either. It home to school and school to back home. But I got used to it. Later the few friends I had betrayed me iver and over agsin and I cut contact with them. After I got promoted to the next grade, I made new friends but they also betrayed me. Since then I've had serious trust issues and can't discuss my problems with anyone. I am unable to trust anyone. Now my parents have gotten even harsher and I don't know how to deal with them. I have to keep all my rage inside. I've now started to hate everyone, my friends, my family. My depression is at it's peak. Insomnia is killing me and I have to go to college everyday too. I'm 17 and thoughts like suicide and running away cross my mind everyday . I've tried many cures (as stated on the Internet). I don't know what to do. I need help.
I don't really have any bullying problem but over the time I've started to gain weight and I am often teased because of it and I do mind though I keep silent about it.
Mon, 29 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.
It seems that you are having depression but other illness like conduct disorder or borderline personality traits need to be ruled out.

You should consult your doctor preferably psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management. Doctor may rule out physical causes like thyroid dysfunction.

After confirming diagnosis, doctor may advise to go for anti depressant drugs like desvenlafaxine or sertraline . You may get benefit by counselling and psychotherapy.

Meanwhile you may go for stress management and relaxation exercise like yoga or meditation for better control over stress.

I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Pediatrician Dr. Imraan Hussain 's  Response

Thanks for your query

i can feel your concerns

just relax

i advise you to consut a psychiatrist

i advise you to start antidepressants after consulting your doctor

you need sessions of psychotherapy

keep yourself busy

donot think much about your problems

take lot of fluids

have a healthy balanced diet

avoid spicy and junk food

have healthy physical activity

take a walk in morning

take deep breaths in fresh air

donot even think of suicide

many people in the world love you and need you

Hope i have ansewered your query
i am available for your help
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. I would suggest you meet a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation of your symptoms including suicidal ideation which is potentially life threatening. The differential diagnosis can include depressive disorder or a personality disorder. The treatment would include drugs like antidepressants, mood stabilisers like lithium as appropriate and psychotherapy techniques like CBT/Cgnitive behavioural therapy. Wish you good health and speedy recovery .
Dr Sundar
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My name is Ann Guerra. My Dr s name is Siegal in Hamden Connecticut. I saw his P.A. for the second time. I needed a phyc doctor as I was diagnosed...

Recent questions on  Sleep disorder

doctor1 MD

I had a breathing problem after I ate chowmien and chilli chicken at night. I had a medicine peptica, but it stayed for an hour. my hands became...

doctor1 MD

hello sir relative with 47 years old women ,suffered with cml...along with this she also having Hyperthyroidism ...her doctor gave imitinub...

doctor1 MD

My 5 year old son wakes up during the night and has an irregular heartbeat when he wakes. The heartbeat has long pauses, but not all the same...

doctor1 MD

HI I have a query regarding my 4 year old daughter. She was a bottle-fed baby,suffered eczema when she was an year old. Recently she suffered...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

Hi. I have a 27 year old son, who appears healthy...very strong, good nutrition etc, drinks occasionally....he has episodes that are increasing in...

doctor1 MD

A few years ago I began falling asleep at inappropriate times. I was so sleepy that I had to quit my teaching job because I would fall asleep in...